Footwear for the midi skirt



I type this after yet another IT fiasco. This morning I woke to a frozen screen which, after re starting, revealed the draft blog, sans all the pictures and links I had carefully curated from the Zara website last night ! Bloody Hell ! My mind set is not , therefore a particularly mellow one and so, I fear I may be a little "direct" in my observations today.  That, and the fact that I forgot to change my HRT patch on Wednesday and all the good will which flows from it has clearly disappeared .You have been warned.

Last week's blog was on my current crush, midi skirts in all their forms. There followed a request as to what footwear they required. With an accompanying plea that it NOT be ankle boots. Well, sorry, here comes a blog largely on....ankle boots ! Because, people , you have at times to leave your sartorial comfort zone and "get with it ".

I am all for us wearing what we like, what makes us happy , but there's a danger in always wearing what we always wear that we become trapped in a time warp. Do you remember , probably in the 80's , that one would occasionally see a middle aged woman in full 1960's gear - hair in a beehive , pointy toes and lurid pencil skirt ? I'm not talking Marie Wilson or a retro lifestyle choice, just, left behind. That's not a great option.

Those pumps one buys on repeat (you know what I mean dear L ) - they have been wonderful and they still work ,with some things . I'm sure Audrey Hepburn would back you on that choice BUT it really is time for an update.







Just to reassure myself that my footwear of choice wasn't a case of  "The whole world's out of step, except our Billy ", I had a look at Pintrest. Yes, if its good enough for Alexa (whose head is chopped off in the pic ), then its good enough for me (and you ).



My clever montage (impressed myself with this feat ) additionally shows the teaming of trainers with said skirts. I give you a couple of options later. Its a look I admire on others but, failing to take my own advice, I can't get comfortable with myself - yet . When the weather picks up and I can brave my greying flesh to the elements, I intend to give it a go. Sometimes the first reaction to the initial  glance in the mirror is not the one to go with. I'm quite sure that the white powdered wig and matching face was met with much hilarity when suggested in the 1700s .

This second collection from Pintrest showcases the more conventional footwear for midi skirts . Essentially a high shoe or sandal. This makes the skirt more formal and I think works best with the  prom style skirt . The height of the shoe definitely counterbalances that "hippy" (as in wide hipped ) feeling you often get in such a style .

 I would , however, only really be attracted to this combination if I had an event to attend and knew there wasn't much walking involved. I'm far more interested in a shoe, or boot, which works for everyday - I was going to say, that I can run in but I'd qualify that with, walk briskly to get to the car park before we click into another hour . Real life shoes.





Finally, a lonely snap of a knee length boot . This style is truly a wardrobe staple and, despite the dominance of the ankle boot at the moment , it continues to be an essential part of your footwear arsenal .




This blog could also be described as a love song to Boden . Or to Boden's clearance sale more accurately. I am always reluctant to pay full price for anything so I've trawled through whats left and there are some fabulous options , all of which will work well with those midis and, it must be said, virtually every style of trouser you can imagine.


I have seen these myself ( a euphemism for, they are now tucked at the back of my wardrobe ). They are delicious. A rich velvet with, errr, glittery heels. The heel height is perfect to add a bit of lift without compromising on walkability . The glitter is a witty touch and most definitely does not mean that they can only come out at Christmas. Sparkle is very much an everyday option . In fact its almost compulsory.




The Alnwick boot is a perfect skirt boot - if you can master the heel. I couldn't without resorting to a Dick Emery gait within yards. The key to its success with a skirt is the width of the ankle. This , like  the Lana boot (and indeed all the options I have given ) is cut close to the leg which avoids  the welly boot feel and prevents that nasty slopping about sensation . That reminds me of the girl in "The Witches Daughter ", if anyone else recalls that BBC children's drama ?


In suede, it comes in two lovely ,versatile shades and, in leather, in ever functional black.  As always with Boden, the difference is in the detail - look at that scalloped edge .


Navy Suede



Grey Suede

                                                                                                                                                                                                     







Despite being  more "rustic " , with the angled, almost cowboy boot heel, the Alford boot is a great option with a midi - provided it really is a midi and falls at least on your lower shin. Any higher and you stray into hoe down country. Its not the partner for the prom style skirt but with a heavier pleat and a less formal fabric its perfect.

Black is a safe option. It can be a little heavy though with a skirt (great with trousers ). My choice would be the lighter shades -Pewter or Tan. What makes these stand out , again,is the detailing. There is a contrast tab down the back of each boot and the elastic panel, when stretched , reveals that shade too.


Alford Ankle Boots £72 - £96 depending on colour (from £120 )


Black Suede




Navy Suede




Pewter Suede




Tan Suede
  






Although reduced the Henley boot is still not a give away. It is however the perfect compromise with the Alnwick boot (above ) in that it has all the style of the suede but with a more foot friendly heel.  Its a shape which has been around for a couple of seasons - almond toe, manageable heel - and , because its so versatile will stay the course for another few rounds.


Boden Henley Oxblood £91 (from £130)








Boden Henley Black Suede £104 (from £130)





Another classic is the Knee High boot. They have taken a bit of a back seat over the last two Seasons, ceding their place to the ankle boot. Sometimes , however, nothing else feels or looks quite as right . I have had a pull on pair from Marks and Spencer for probably 10 years and they are pulled out time and time again . They have given longevity, in particular, to knee length dresses or skirts which otherwise have seemed dated . If you can get your hands on a pair in the last throes of the sales - buy.

These Round Toe Stretch boots are a perfect heel height although, having tried them, I found them a little on the short and narrow side. I would suggest sizing up. That may be my peculiar feet though.










For those of you who have studied at  the Victoria Beckham School of Movement, these may be more your style. Fabulous colour.










I know that some of you will have been scrolling through muttering " No !No! No ! I TOLD her I wasn't going down the boot route ", well, the following are for you.  I haven't given up on persuading you of the value of the ankle boot , but, with SOME midis, for SOME occasions they will work ie if you're inside or its dry. And that defeats my aim of converting you to midis as an everyday option.


I must 'fess up and admit to having these. [Whispers .. In both colours ]. They are such a brilliant price and are really lush, or indeed ,plush. The velvet is gorgeous and the glittery heels! ! I'm clearly coming back to this world as a magpie .

The Catherine shoe (how could I not, except of course, they spelled it wrong ?)  is a great accompaniment to the shin length skirt. It also looks good with cropped straight leg jeans or trousers. With the velvet cropped ones from Boden, as it happens ! 














 And in Navy £44 (from £110)





Zara Sale still has something to offer and, along the same lines, I present these silver sling backs. Silver , although it may strike you as a little in your face, is extremely useful. I have a Topshop pair which continues to surprise me with their versatility. 

If you can't face the shop itself, there is still quite a lot left on line. Which avoids you having to interface with the less than helpful Staff in Zara. Its fortunate that the products are so much in demand because if it was to survive on Customer Service alone, it would surely die a long and agonizing death. And I for one, would allow myself a thin smile ! 





At the other end of the Customer Service spectrum , I return to wonderful Boden who must be the most helpful and reasonable company on the planet.


I give you now the Jennifer flat . A lovely shoe but, at this time of year does give you the dilemma of what to wear on your legs. Visible hosiery appears to be a bit of a no no . Its bare legs all the way which means that skirt needs to be very long to stop hypothermia . Teaming with black opaques - don't even consider it . Its time to man up and get hold of some fake tan !






Also comes in Navy ,Saffron and Melon


The big sister to the Jennifer flat. Occasion wear staple so I won't linger as I'm pushing an everyday vibe. Lovely nonetheless and a real steal at the moment.


Boden Jennifer T Bar Heels £36-£48 (from £110) depending on colour


Also comes in Black Sequin (fab), Navy Suede, Melon Suede (orangey shade ), Fallen Fruit (plum ) and Silver Sequin .


Back to flats (and indeed, black ) . A moccasin will work with a midi although one has to be cautious , particularly with the pleated version , that you don't appear to be referencing Miss Jean Brodie ! I have included these Boden flats, because they are good value but, for a more current look, I would suggest (if you dare ) a more chunky sole. They are not going to add anything to the prom style midi , avoid at all costs .



Boden Ines Loafers Black Patent £54 (from £90 )



Leopard £68.60 (from £98 )






Metallic £45 (from £90 )








Trainers with midis and maxis. This is a combination most favoured by the top bloggers. A pair of Stan Smiths or Air and Grace or, if you're lucky enough, and go for the distressed look, Golden Goose, appear with dogged regularity on post after post on Instagram. This combo is definitely not reserved for casual skirts or dresses and is applied across the board on all the styles. I struggle with it. And I can't think why. Perhaps I'm too short (5ft 4") ? But I've seen it rocked quite comfortably by some real Lilliputians. It might be the idea of trainers for "best "being an anathema or that , in my mid 50's , it seems too faux naif . Well, I'm going to ponder that but, in the meantime, I leave you with the very certain knowledge that its still very much a "look" for now and, indeed, next season. No tights obv !!!

If you wanted to give it a whirl, with minimum outlay, have a look, again, at these from Boden . Other colours available although I think stock levels are fairly low - worth a try ?



Boden Esmerelda Trainers £22.50 (from £75 )





The original and iconic version. Even my brother has a pair. Not to wear with a skirt I hasten to add !

Stan Smith Shoes £75.95 




And finally..... a quick swizz through Zara Sale and what it has to offer for my Midi Skirt marathon.


All the love for these. Suede and diamante - two of my favourite words. And what a steal. They are small fitting so size up. I wish I'd ordered in both sizes as my usual didn't fit and now sold out in the next size. Boo hoo. A School Boy error if ever there was one ! Please someone else buy these so the discovery is not wasted.


Zara Shiny Ankle Boot £15.999 (from £95.99 )







 I haven.t tried these but they look a good bet for skirts and trousers and all for less than a 2 course deal at Cote !

Zara Suede Beaded Bow Ankle Boot £9.99 (from £39.99)





A slightly off the wall colour but , if you pick the shade up somewhere else, in your top, jumper or earrings they are the perfect lift and talking point on an otherwise plain outfit. I'm tempted but ,as I'm sure you can imagine, this blog has led to more than one click on the "Buy " button from Your's Truly.

Zara Blue Metallic Boots £15.99 (from £79.99 )





Over the knee boots seem to be slightly on the wane but this is a great find and the fact that its over the knee is irrelevant if tucked beneath a midi . Extra warmth too .

 Zara Over the Knee Boots £9.99 (from £29.99)




At less than a tenner, these tulle boots don't have to be saved for "best ". They are a definite candidate to be worn with opaque tights though. Well, in my book.

Zara Tulle Ankle Boots with Faux Pearls £9.99 (from £19.99 )






 Like the blue boots, the fact that these are green might mean you rule them out. Don't. They are a luxury look at a skinflint price.

Zara Flat Velvet Ankle Boot £29.99 (from £79.99 )






I hope that the quick canter through options for midi skirts has been a success and that everyone has found something they could contemplate. Now is a good time to experiment with so many places slashing prices so low.

 If you haven't yet trawled through the left overs of Marks and Spencer, do. The satin kitten heel boots are perfect entry level purchases as they are so so cheap now and are ridiculously comfortable. They can be slung on with virtually any length skirt or dress and the jewel tones lift an ordinary pair of jeans to something special.



No comments:

Post a Comment