Skirts ...and my painful return !














   







Hello , hello , hello ! Finally , a blog . Now,  I appreciate that the world has hardly been waiting with baited breath for me to get myself in gear, but, it's a big deal in my head. 

I don't know about you but, increasingly , I have become obsessed with the idea of wasting time. Or rather, not wasting time. It's meant that I have wanted to fly through the dull jobs, shucking off prosaic commitments, like feeding my family, cleaning the bathroom etc so that my day will be clear for more wondrous things ! Well. Those jobs have a way of demanding one's attention and, nowadays, by the time I'm through them, I need a feet up . I'm going to be 56 this year and that seems like a tipping point. By the time we reach this stage in life it's a fortunate woman who hasn't had some degree of loss, sadness or health issue. I want to make the most of every moment and now completely understand the adage that " health is the main thing " . Without it we can achieve nothing. 

The downside of this, barely controlled, panic about the inevitable march of time,is that I have forgotten that, to achieve anything, you need to invest time in the learning process. I have lost the ability to sit still and focus. Hence the aversion to the blog. Technology moves so quickly and I feel as if I have been given a pair of boxing gloves and then been asked to thread a needle, or pluck my eyebrows ! Tell me I'm not alone in this ? Producing and publishing a blog, with all the glitches along the way - which , infuriatingly , requires the assistance of a mildly condescending teenager  - is harder than giving birth. At least that was 'intuitive ' ! A misnomer for anything computer wise if you ask me ! I sincerely hope that I can actually produce something by virtue of muscle memory alone - we shall see.

Sooooo, before I start questioning, again, the "point " of blogging , I proudly present my blog topic of the week .. SKIRTS  

I realised, looking back at my Instagram posts that I've worn a huge number of midi length skirts over the last few months . I'm definitely still a dress girl , but these have crept into my wardrobe with persistent stealth. They are now my wardrobe hero. I've added some pics of me ( primarily because, initially they were the only ones I could recall how to download ) and also given you some purchasable options. Assuming you are swayed, of course.


This one is in the M&S sale. It was nearly £50 but I picked it up for about £13. There's still a few knocking around in store if you're willing to forage and likely to be a couple of quid less now too . Would I have bought it full price ? Probably not but, as I'm always saying, sale time is the chance to take a risk. And, I've actually worn it loads already , with lots of compliments. That does exclude the sour puss on the till at Marks' who declared it 'garish ' ! What does she know ?!

The first outing was when friends came for dinner ( second pic) . I styled it up ( how we laughed) with a closer fitting top and court shoes ( is that still a word ?!) . I preferred wearing it with flat boots, crew neck jumper and a biker though. Proving that "Occasion Wear " happily translates to day wear too.

Marks and Spencer (Sale)




The key to the skirt is the top. Hopefully, I'll get round to including options later .

Same skirt, different look.
















Marks and Spencer seems to have spent itself on this type of skirt in its A/W season so there's very little there now, unless the Sale Fairy smiles on you in the next day or so. 

I had a look at the Debenhams website and came up with a few similar options.









This Hobbs skirt, whist not cheap by any stretch, is a great buy and will last season after season. I don't think the way its styled is particularly inspiring (I loathe those shoes ), but with a cropped cardigan and a pair of satin ankle boots it will be a different proposition altogether.

Hobbs Hermione Skirt £99 (from £139)








Similar from ASOS. I appreciate that the following two may seem somewhat incongruous as day time wear at this moment in time- especially given the snow which is gently falling as I type - but its not long til such a light print will be spot on. In the meantime, wear with the short sleeved jumper from M&S (below ).





Ditto







Perhaps my most oft worn style though is the pleated skirt. Usually with an elastic waistband , it has become a kind of uniform for me. There's no issue with fit. An absolute blessing at this time of year when my New Year's Resolution to cut back on the calories has already ridden off into the distance. Without so much as a ' sayonara sucker ' ! 

This was in the sale in the Summer from M&S , again. It can be worn all year but I did feel rather festive in it with my jolly Christmas jumper . Which says 'Joy ' on it, much to the hilarity of my family as there's no one less joyous than yours truly at times . 

Marks and Spencer Summer Sale




The closest I could find to mine is this Noisy May number at Debenhams. For me, the length of the skirt is too short as I think its far more flattering to be mid calf. Usefully , in a skirt like this, its perfectly fine to size up and I far prefer a waistline which sits on my hips. Added bonus is the extra length.



Noisy May Silver Pleated Midi £30






As you know, I love a bargain and this pale pink, metallic skirt is also on sale at Debenhams. Don't be afraid of the colour - embrace it !











Another, from Red Herring at Debenhams. So easy to wear with a jumper on top. I like it with a fine knit but it works just as well with a chunky number and boots.  I'd never have thought myself a green person but, as the skirt was heavily discounted , I grabbed it and now, green is a colour to which I increasingly gravitate . The jumper is Asda, by the way - a real steal at £16 . I was attracted not only to the colour combo but the sleeve detail, something worthy of a far more costly item .


Red Herring Sale






At the other end of the length spectrum to the silver pleated skirt is this beauty. On me, at 5ft 4" I reckon I'd be sweeping the streets of Leeds but , for the more blessed in the height department, this will look stunning.






I said I'd been converted to green ! I don't have an equivalent style to show you from elsewhere, which might be what attracted me to this in the first place. It really is an unusual cut and colour and further reinforces my argument that sale time is a good chance to take a punt on something outside your usual comfort zone. My daughter described it as "Extra " which, as I have no idea what that really means, I'm going to read as edgy and unusual. Please don't disabuse me !

Marks and Spencer Sale




This is my most often worn skirt. If you can get hold of this skirt, then do. It's sold out in a number of sizes on line but it's been such a best seller that , hopeful they will re stock. I liked it so much, I paid full whack . Yes, I liked it THAT much. It's black, which is always a winner in the versatility stakes and is a type of pleated pleather material. Sounds awful but it really does work. It's warm but not flush inducing and has a pleasing wipe clean property - excellent news for the enthusiastic eaters among us . 






Marks and Spencer  £39.50




Same, same but different from ASOS.




Not pleated this time but a black, wrap type skirt. Again, its the perfect canvas to add colour to or to stick to our much loved, muted shades. Add a bright shirt or throw on a fine knit. Pull on your boots and your're ready to go.


 Marks and Spencer Summer Sale




Finally, this mesh skirt. There are lots of them still around. They often have a slip underneath which ends at the knee , leaving an outer, semi transparent drop of fabric which ends mid calf. That can look perfect for the evening but, as I want my skirts to work for day and night, I prefer fully lined. Maybe I'm getting old after all. My pet hate is a slit in the hem, however modest. Ugh !





Right. Tops. The reason I have always lent towards dresses is that they avoid the 'what goes with this ?'  dilemma. Who hasn't turned to look back at what was originally a perfectly tidy bedroom, to see it strewn with blouses , tops and jumpers ? All now unusable as you've managed  to get foundation on every neckline in your increased frustration. Well, the answer is simple. At this point in the season , I would suggest the following styles, and throw in a polo neck too. No fuss.









Boden Bernadette Cardigan Reduced to £26

Lots of colours on the website , including black.




Boden Favourite Crop Crew Cardigan £50

I have this jumper in a couple of shades and can't recommend it enough. There's 20% off various categories at Boden this week so keep an eye open for the knitwear day before you press Buy.




Well, I have reached the end of the return blog. I would love your comments as, when I see what other bloggers produce I have to question the wisdom of my efforts. I have however mastered it for today.






No comments:

Post a Comment