Holiday Maxi Dresses

We are now at the start of SALE TIME ! This is when you decide to hang on and wait to see if the dress you love goes down in price but risk it being sold out by the time you get round to it, or to just go for it. You've seen it, you love it, you need it, you must have it - blow the possible saving !!



Whatever you choose, in this blog I've put together some reasonably priced Maxi Dresses- holiday ones really, not Wedding Reception frocks in chiffon with beading- some very casual and others equally comfortable with heels and a bit of bling.

Unlike last week's shorts , Maxi Dresses are the answer to the untanned leg, the friend of the failed fake tan, the saviour of the fuzzy shin and the sunburnt (if only) thigh. They add instant glamour and give the impression that you've made far more of an effort than you really have. There's nothing not to like !

Those of you who look at the first dress and think, yeah, great, what about a bra?? Fear not, I've got plenty of styles for all undergarment requirements, its not just spaghetti straps and bandeau.

The first dress, which makes me come over all Sienna, is this beautiful Feather Print Maxi from ASOS at £60. The fact that I would look a b****r in it (too much pale, limp flesh in the underarm area) does not make me resent it. I imagine it on someone else, enjoying their well toned limbs in the Sun. Them enjoying their limbs, not me !

 


 
 
If the dress above needs a pert wearer, these below have cunning bra inserts which will give you the definition and lift you need. I'm not saying that they are the answer if you are top of the range at Bravissimo but, provided you aren't thinking of belting it ( nothing draws attention to a slipping décolletage than drawing in the waist ), the inserts may be sufficient.
 
Izabel London Tie Dye Maxi Dress at House of Fraser £28

 
Grey



Coral

If you prefer the safety of a bra this Sleeveless Jersey Tie Waist Maxi Dress from Vila £22 at House of Fraser is a great option. Really striking in Hot Coral.

 
Likewise this mixed monochrome tropical print. Yumi Tropical Maxi £40 at House of Fraser.





I'm on a roll with bra friendly dresses- Warehouse Placement Tile Maxi dress £46. This is made in a stretch jersey so is going to pack with minimal creasing . A very useful addition to the suitcase although not perhaps suitable if your destination is somewhere really hot or humid.




Hush do brilliant hot weather dresses. Although they currently have an offer on their Ascot Dress (£20 off ), the real reductions haven't yet happened. The sale started last year in the second week of July - I was ordering on my phone from Manchester Airport, at the Boarding Gate, much to my Husband's disbelief. A sale is a sale no matter where you are. It had to be done. I love their summer stuff in particular.

Hush New Sunset Dress £55 in Slate Blue.

Only solution to this is a strapless bra or none at all if you can do it. The gently elasticated shirring detail at the waist allows adjustment in length as well as style. It is so simple and stylish. No try hard vibe here.


 
 
The second Hush style, also a holiday staple and which can move you from day to night with judicious use of accessories, is the Shirred Maxi Dress £50. Its made in a pretty mixed colour leaf design or slate grey and is 100% rayon which guarantees that it will pack well, taking little space  and will keep you really cool. It comes with spaghetti straps or can be worn as a bandeau.
 



 

 
 
The final Hush dress in the trio is a reworking of last year's Mosaic Maxi Dress which was a sell out. I did manage to grab one (whadya know ?!) and in baking Greece, it was perfect. I didn't want to put on anything else for easy style and comfort. Sadly, it wasn't until I got home and put on anything with a waistband that I realised just how accommodating that dress was on the food front !
 
Hush Panel Maxi Dress £55
 
 
 
 


 
Black and White Stripe



Hibiscus and White Stripe
Petal Royal Blue and White Stripe

If you want to bag a bargain at Mango you need to add the code 6VIP11 which gives 40% off if you buy more than one item. The multiple purchase is a bit of a pain but they do have some lovely things. Have a look in particular at the beach bags. I'm sure that they will tempt you to add a further item to your bag. If you're feeling strong however, you will still get 30 % off a single item.

Mango Floral Long Dress £34.99
 
 
 

 
In blue and coral.
 
I'm sure that many men, and quite a few women would say that the next Mango dress looks like a nightie. They may have a point but you need to imagine this one floating the streets of Santorini or Lindos, not for nipping into Aldi on a blustery day! The detail on the embroidery is hard to appreciate from the photograph but the leaf design is both tasteful and effective. Crucially, the dress has no mad frill on the bottom. Its deep V and soft cap sleeves flatter a larger bust and skims over that part of the upper arm which some of us dislike.


 
 
Mango Embroidered Long Dress £59.99
 
 
 

Detailing on the bodice

From plain white to pattern-this Warehouse Leaf Flower Dress, £42 exudes understated elegance. I first saw the fabric in a shirt dress but much prefer this simple, column style. It has a botanical study type pattern in subtle shades and the detailing of the print is lovely.









If you prefer a more graphic design, consider Warehouse's Printed Lace Back Maxi £55



 
 
For a floral option, a glorious riot of colour, what about Somedays Lovin Bella Floral Print Maxi from Asos £58 ? Its a halterneck with thigh splits (yikes!) but sadly for the lazy amongst us, is hand wash.
 
 
 
 
 
 

A very different style and print again, but this East Virginia Handkerchief Silk Dress from East at John Lewis is also delightful. It's also reduced, which always adds to its allure for me. £84 from £169. Not bargain basement by any means but it is an excellent buy and is a summer dress which will never date. How many margaritas do you really need ??



 
 
 
At the other end of the price spectrum are these great value T Shirt Maxi dresses from Dorothy Perkins at £18. You will need to add your own drama with your accessories but that's not a bad thing. It means you can change the look as often as you have necklaces or earrings- quote a lot in my case then. This is the kind of dress I envisaged when I said its a great throw on option which will look as if you have given a lot more weight to the occasion than you really have.
 
It comes in 5 colours although I prefer the stronger of them , and black of course. One of the shades does remind me a bit of "Up Pompeii"! I think you can probably guess which one that is-it might be just the look you are after though. Perfect for your day trip to Verulanium ! Seriously, made from viscose and elastane, its going to wash well,  pack small and works well at home or away.






 
 
 
 
If you want a sleeveless version, in the same fabric with the same brilliant properties, try this Grecian Maxi Dress from ASOS at £28. Will look great with flats or heels.Don't be put off by the really low back. A judicious stitch or, if you're up to it, popper, at the appropriate spot will mean you can still wear a bra. Alternatively you can always wear a bandeau but that's another layer when you're trying not to overheat. Can you tell that staying cool is my current obsession?!
 
 
 
 
The small stitch on the back will also work with this Vero Modo Boho Lace Maxi Dress from ASOS at £45. It manages to be demure and discreet with the modest neckline and beautiful crochet detailing yet adds a more risqué twist with the fact that , from the knee downwards, its semi sheer. - note the crochet band on the bottom too . There is a lot going on with this dress and the overall effect somehow is pleasantly humorous and contradictory.
 

 
 
I'm afraid no amount of cunning stitchery is going to help the next two styles-but I love them anyway !
 
ASOS Strappy Open Back Maxi Dress in Oversized Floral £25
 
 


ASOS Pom Pom Cami Maxi Dress £35

Pom Poms are big news this summer, from scarves to woven beach bags. Get your fix here , and spend the rest of the holiday with your sewing kit out, fixing them back on, no doubt ! I'm only saying that because I can't wear it. I'm sure they will be fine.







 
 
The final dress which might present a challenge, bra wise, but which is too good to ignore, is this Anita and Green Aztec Print Maxi from New Look at £34.99. Anita and Green is a make which is relatively new to me although I did feature a lovely, cream dress in an earlier blog. New Look stock a wide range and Next online have a couple of styles. The cotton lace tops and dresses are particularly nice and very reasonably priced. This has shoestring straps and a high neck with a flattering bodice.
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Staying with Anita and Green, this Lace Hem Maxi  £29.99,illustrates the type of lace I referred to above. Delicate without being twee. I like the clean straight  line of the bodice and the no nonsense straps.
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
Bold prints are trending this summer and this flattering empire line dress, with the option of a waist tie ( don't do it- tie it under your bust ) nails the look. Mela Blue Spot Print Maxi dress £28. New Look.



 
Back to Boho for the next three dresses. H&M make it incredibly hard to grab photos from their website, indeed to even view them last week was a challenge. It just wouldn't open the details. Anyway, I persisted with this Embroidered Maxi dress at £19.99 because I think it is fabulous. It epitomises the brilliance of the High Street to serve up great style clothes, bursting with detail, at prices that we can all stretch to. This dress, with its contrast blue embroidery and tassel neckline on a black background is a luxe look at a very ordinary price. Made from 50% modal and 50% cotton its machine washable and a so both practical and stylish.
 
 


 
 
 
 
Finally, two long sleeved Maxi dresses.


I was really taken with this dress from ASOS when I first saw it. This dress, and the one below has a Festival Feel but both would look amazing on cooler evenings when you're away or at home as the sun goes down.( When will that be ?!!). I actually accosted a Student who was wearing it on Friday night at an outdoor ( acapella ) concert in the balmy South. I don't know what was more ridiculous- my delight at seeing " my " dress being modelled or the look of  absolute distain on her face at being complimented by an enthusiastic Middle Aged Woman !  S** t on shoe is the phrase ! I now know how those big, slobbery dogs feel when they jump up full of joy, only to be batted down ! Or, to follow my earlier analogy, how that little piece of s**t  might view itself.  At that stage after more than a drink or two, (which isn't usually me, being a martyr to the migraine), all I could do was laugh. It did look good , though maybe not with black underwear, but that could be an age thing, something else I don't "get" anymore . It would have looked even better, as my Mum might say, with a smile on the wearer's face.

Close up the dress is what used to be called " cheesecloth". I think that probably instantly dates me as I haven't heard that term for years it now occurs to me but I'm sure you will know exactly what I mean.

ASOS  Glamorous Folk Maxi Dress with Embroidered Trims £55
 
 



I adore this last dress. There's a voice which says its only for the very young and lithe of limb but I'm ignoring it. My motto is, if not now, then when ? And I refuse to say never. Its a fabulous printed patchwork dress, cut on the bias (always flattering) , with bell sleeves (useless for washing up but oh so stylish ) with lace up detailing at the front. I know its a '70's print but it also nods to the Pre Raphaelites - The Lady of Shallot ? No? Well, whatever its influences, I'm in. One thing is for sure, no one else will be wearing it at the barbeque !!









Once again, I hope you have found something you like or a style which inspires you. Do tell me.














5 comments:

  1. Hi
    Big thanks for sharing this wonderful blog post about latest in women’s dresses. A Lace Maxi Dress is undoubtedly a must-have for woman’s wardrobe. If you want to get attention of all the attendees available in an event, you should give a try to floral maxi dresses as they look awfully good and also easy to wear. You can browse through the internet to buy women’s dresses at reasonable prices.
    Regards,
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alexandra. I have only just seen your lovely comment, thank you so much. I hadn't known where to look for responses. I didn't think i'd had any which is really dispiriting. Forgive the delay . You are quite right about Maxis. They always manage to look like you've tried- even when it was a rush job !

      Delete
  2. Nice Dress and you look very cute. Maxi Dresses Cheap look absolutely perfect on women’s of all ages. Also, they are easily available in physical shops and online stores at cheap prices. Thanks for sharing the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda. I've only just seen your comments so forgive the enormous delay! I cant agree more. Please stay in touch- now I know where to find you !

      Delete
  3. Great Post! It's more helpful to us thanks for sharing keep it up. Buy Women Appeals

    ReplyDelete