Eye Spied 3



The first 2 items in Eye Spied are dresses, both very different in style, but both possessing a great deal of detail and both which represent brilliant value for money. I saw them in New Look , although Next also stocks the make- Anita and Green (A&G). 








Embroidered Shift Dress  A&G  £34.99


This dress immediately caught my eye. The detail of the embroidery is fantastic, the colours bold and jewel like against a strong black background. The sequins in the embroidery dance in the light and, when on, really made the dress come alive. The juxtaposition of the Indian style embroidery on a conventional Western type dress works well. The shape is so simple but that serves only to showcase the detailing worked upon it.







The dress is structured but the cotton is blended with some stretch .Although the style is body hugging and does ' hold' you, it didn't feel restrictive because of that addition. It can be worn for a formal ocassion, with heels and a jacket or would be perfect with jewelled flats for a more relaxed vibe.
 
 












,


A&G  Cream Embroidered Layered Dress £29.99

This dress is lovely. Relaxed and feminine without being fey and,despite being cream, despite being lace, despite being layered , it's very much suitable for a grown up! I was concerned it would feel like a gigantic 5 year olds party dress but it didn't at all. The waist is gently elasticated and positioned on the waist,as opposed to just above it as often seems the case on me. The fact that it is then disguised with the bodice layer draping over it is inspired. It avoids that ' cut in half ' look and keeps the flow of the dress downwards, as opposed to out!

Notice the sleeves. I once had no appreciation of those who didn't like their arms. Sadly, the times have changed. No matter how many press ups or biceps curls I do my skin has decided it would like to escape the bone, determinedly pulling down and away from its previous home. Luckily, as my body definition fades, so does my eyesight- maybe that's why so few of us wear our glasses in the gym? Just a thought!!

Anyway the sleeves are extremely flattering- almost transparent from shoulder to elbow, ending in a rather fetching gentle flute.They manage to disguise unloved upper arms and also serve to narrow the width of the chest. That's particularly important as the sleeves and the top layer end at the same level. If the sleeves were a block of material the eye would just see a wide expanse from one arm to another. Ingenious!

The more I write, the more I want this dress. The slightly Bohemian vibe is complemented by the wooden clog sandals from Topshop ( below ) . Imagine yourself strolling round Sarlat in this outfit, wandering the alleyways of Fiskardo or having a sneaky prosecco near the Trevi Fountain ! Or just looking cool at home. It is the kind of dress that invites imagination. Or maybe its late and I need a rest!
 
 

 
 

 


Onwards!


Super Bargains from Primark










 
 
 
Cream Striped Top Primark £5 from £12


Spied this top. An amazing £5, reduced from the already low price of £14. Added a camisole I already owned and felt fab on a sightseeing tour of Oxford. It even got the thumbs up from my 21 year old Son who has a keen ,and rather disapproving, nose for my bargain buys- a nose which quickly sniffs out the naff or the schmatty ! Once upon a time it was us doling out the praise and encouragement, now I'm giddy with delight if any of my Children say anything the least bit positive about me ! I think the trick for survival is probably not to let them know that though! Once they sniff weakness, you're done for.
 
As usual, the top works with trousers and jeans. It also perked up a navy tube jersey skirt I have, the boxy shape standing out at the back and creating a very contemporary silhouette-especially with flatforms. You are then obliged to stand with feet slightly apart, shoulders and back rounded, gazing mournfully at the floor . Well they seem to in every photo shoot I've seen on the style. Who would want to look like an intellectually challenged depressive?? Not Me ! Not You! and you don't have to-just wear it like a normal person!
 
 


 
 
 
Navy and Cream Short Sleeved Striped Top Primark £5 from £14
 
This top is wonderfully weighty and is of a similar boxy style to the cream one above. It has the same applications - trousers or straight(ish) skirt-denim would be good- and looks and feels on a par with far more expensive and similar tops on the High Street. You cant go wrong and, as I hope to illustrate in the following blog, navy and cream are the winning combination for this, in between, weather. We want to look Spring like and keep the faith but.... its still b***dy freezing!
 
 
 
 




 
Cream Crochet Top Primark £10
 
Primark again so I'm afraid you only get another dodgy photograph of me. I was at the mercy of my 13 Year Old's photographic skills with this one and her pressing need to return to "Dance Moms" overrode my bleating cries for assistance. I had to settle for what I could.
 
I added the cream camisole for the sake of modesty. Without it the top is good for nothing-in my world anyway. Its delicate and pretty and would look good under a blazer or jacket and I defy anyone to guess how much you had (hadn't) paid for it.



No comments:

Post a Comment