Florence and Fred


I prefer to be able to look and touch, and usually to try on, the clothes I include in the blog. That way I have a better idea of the feel of the material, the way it hangs, the general fit, before I can recommend it to you. Unfortunately, for a number of reasons, I haven't been able to go on my usual scouting expeditions to town. I very quickly began to suffer retail withdrawal symptoms  but ,thankfully ,was able to self medicate with a modest trip to Tesco to check out the new Florence & Fred range. It's a good job I was able to get there- the photos on the web site make everything look appalling ! The reality was, as you might suspect, that a great many of the clothes were indeed as grim and undesirable as they looked online. There were some gems though.....













This top was really pretty and the photograph doesn't do it justice. It's 100% cotton ( which it doesn't look like in the photograph ) and the delicate appliqué flowers are a great contrast with the simple boxy shape of the top. It is a flattering length - some boxy styles finish too high to cover ones tummy. They end up as wide as they are long and make you look the same in the process ! This one manages the extra length, without looking block like, very cleverly ,by continuing the lace below the line of the hem. Sadly they didn't have my size or I would have grabbed it. Similar styles on the High Street are selling at much higher prices so, given it's versatility,this is a steal.







 
 
 
 
This caught my eye immediately. Its a lovely rich cream colour. Sadly this isn't reproduced in the photograph where it looks white. The detailing of the embroidery and the silky ties at the collar suggest a product which is much more expensive than the price tag .Although the website teams it with flared jeans, unless you are very tall, I feel this is a bit of a risk. If you have a voluminous top its far more flattering to keep the bottom half neat and narrow, so I would suggest wearing it with skinny jeans, preferably cropped or, if you're brave with Gap's Girlfriend jeans (£44.95) They make it look even more on trend .
 
If you have a large bust-and I say this with kindness-best to steer clear of the smock style altogether! It will fall away at your furthest point and this one just isn't long enough to have the chance to correct that outwards motion by drifting back towards your thighs. You win in other areas, you know it!
 
The fact that the top is made from 100% viscose means its likely to wash well and retain the crinkles . It is perfect for English Summers but experience tells me that it will get way too sweaty if you go anywhere too hot!





 
 





These are Absolutely Fabulous - totally Edina when she revisits Marrakesh ! Or perhaps you would prefer Megan in "Mad Men", probably a more flattering image to carry about, either way they do scream confidence and glamour.

The background  is a beautiful burnt orange and the pattern gives a very 70's vibe. They are however very long. They were perfect on my lovely tall friend but at 5ft 4inches I would have to lop a few inches off the bottom or wear extremely high wedges.

I know that wedges or platforms would complement the 70's feel but for me I can't always be bothered with the effort involved! That's how I feel today- a Saturday night might be another story. If you want the wedges though,make absolutely sure that the hem reaches the floor. They look a bugger swinging round your ankle !

They looked great however with jewelled flats. Pre the scissors they could also dust your parquet floor!

Is it only me but.... I think the print is very close to that of the Honeysuckle Print Trench at Hobbs ( £229 ). I think that it's an amazing pattern but I don't think I'd want to invest that degree of  confidence in it! That notwithstanding , the fact that such a prestigious High Street name as Hobbs is serving this  up should comfort you that your purchase of the palazzo pants is a sound sartorial move.






 
 
 
 
This looked really striking next to the Palazzo Pants and the tribal design is a big motif this Spring and Summer.                                              
     
 


 
 

 
 

 
Notwithstanding my assertion that the cream top works better with a slim silhouette on the bottom, for the statuesque, this makes a stylish combination. If you add your own sandals, the total is only £50 and all three of the items will work with others in your wardrobe. All of that for just a bit more than a similar clutch bag elsewhere!
 
The general principle of wide top, narrow bottoms works in reverse too. The Palazzo Pants looked beautifully balanced on both of us  on our shopping trip disguised as a grocery run -tall and short- when teamed with this fitted T shirt.
  


 
 





This comes  in a range of colours and is a great wardrobe basic. The Bardot neckline, wider than a scoop neck but not as severe as a boat neck, raises it above a standard looking T Shirt. There is the option to wear it  off the shoulder in true Bardot style but that's not a choice I will be making if I'm hurrying about ! 

The black and navy are real staples which I'm sure you'll pull out again and again. They  also make it in a bold navy and white stripe which looked really stylish paired with white chinos. It's a flattering length and allows a bit of artful ruching over the tummy, if needed. 










 
 
 
Palazzo Pants are everywhere it seems. June's edition of  Woman and Home features them on a number of occasions (together with 2 items which I've already covered in earlier blogs-more of that at the end). Florence and Fred have several designs including the highly wearable, because less bold, pair below.
 
 
 
 




 
 


 
 


They looked amazing with the sleeveless Split Back Top below.





Sleeveless Split Back Top £14




Back View

Although the shirt has plenty of material it is not overwhelming. It drapes in a way that creates a narrow visual effect. That, combined with the deep V draws the eye's attention to the centre and downwards and is thus extremely flattering for a larger bust. When you add a statement necklace that effect is magnified.



 
 
 
 
The remaining three items bear no relation to each other-they just stood out as being attractive and welcome additions to the wardrobe!
 
 
 
 
 
 



Crinkle Vest £14

This draping ,embroidered crepe top, with delicate crochet panels, stood out as being a cut above much of that which surrounded it. Its relaxed style would really lift a pair of skinny jeans and is a more stylish alternative to a plain T Shirt. Perfect for layering.




 


 
I fear I may have forgotten both my age and body shape with this one, but I love it....for someone!. It calls itself a dress. Really its a throw on for over a bikini or swimsuit and I guess, around a faraway pool, with the sun scrunching my eyes  closed, I can almost imagine it on me. Its the kind of thing that impossibly gorgeous girls model during Happy Hour as you watch, grumpily , from your sunbed, sipping that early Margharita, knowing they would look good in your duty free WH Smith bag ! At a huge price, which this isn't, so.... maybe £20 is cheap to indulge a dream!
 
Anyway, its 100% cotton and is cool in both senses of the word.
 
 
More sensibly, I also spied this pinstriped linen mix jacket.



 




Pinstripe Tailored Jacket £30


The Florence and Fred  website designate this as work wear but I felt it also suited a smarter casual look. I was wearing skinny jeans the day I tried it , together with the boxy applique top (above) and, although I say so myself, it did look good. Wearing a jacket with jeans , something I would not have dreamed of once, is now a go to look. It's just that bit sharper and more fresh. The linen content contributed to the more relaxed vibe, giving it a slightly slubby and textured feel. 





The jacket has a notch lapel with a one button fastening, creating a longer silhouette, drawing the eye downwards. There is nice detailing at the cuffs with three small buttons and 2 faux pockets just below the waist. A really good buy.



And finally , and I'm just saying.....I opened  Woman and Home's June edition today and it features 2 of the items I've already included in earlier blogs !
 
 









Warehouse Denim Shirt Dress £52- in "Denim Dresses" blog


The Times' Hilary Rose also did an article on the clog- like shoes I highlighted as being very on trend at the moment. She hates them but did acknowledge their fashion status! Hipee, a point for me. 

Have a great week end and, if you need some encouragement to drag yourself through another family food shop, ( honestly you buy it, they eat it, you buy it, they eat it, on and on !! ) you could do worse than to choose Tesco. My mates Florence and Fred just might find something for you to make the trip worthwhile !

No comments:

Post a Comment