Full Midi Skirts... Just what the fragile ego ordered

Oh Lord, could there be a sight more harrowing than that of a Fifty Something Woman struggling into a pair of black pleather trousers, a good size too small ?? The answer is no, most definitely not, particularly when said Woman is oneself, looming like a Circus grotesque in the landing mirror !!

Encouraged by the words and pics of other Bloggers - crucially a good deal younger and more nubile than Moi - I went mad on the H&M website , ordering no less than 5 pairs of pleather leggings and trousers ' to see '. Well. I saw alright. You could not only see the label on my no VPL pants, and exactly what I'd had for Dinner ( and that, half , Fat Rascal in Betty's earlier ), but also my entire DNA helix !

I reminded myself of a cross between a black pudding and those gigantic rolls of hay, hermetically sealed in black plastic which dot ( blot) the landscape. In my defence, H&M sizing is on the mean side but... Still . I didn't know whether to chuck away my glass of red wine and start an abstinence diet immediately or keep drinking til I didn't care !!!

As an act of kindness to myself I have designated this blog a non body con zone. This is about a skirt which covers all those areas so cruelly exposed by those blasted trousers and is now my new BFF.

The full, midi skirt has really taken hold in the word of the Fashion Savvy. The antithesis of the Sports Luxe look, complete with Stan Smith Trainers, it mingled with the low key styling at all the major Fashion Shows over the last few weeks. Slightly longer than last year's incarnation this is a skirt for all.


The basic style is that of Coast's Meslita £129. A Waist and a full, midi length skirt. Truly elegant and a whizz for covering those lumps and bumps I was so brutally confronted by in those leggings. I love the strong colours of the petrol blue and mulberry. Or if you are petite, the coral is on sale at John Lewis at the reduced price of £89.

 



 


 
 


I bought one from M&S in the sale which I Instagrammed over the Summer. The pic doesn't do it justice so you'll need to take my word for the fact that it looks a whole lot fuller and  a whole lot better, in life. My problem with it was what to wear on top but finally.... I think I've got the shapes sorted. Sadly not the boxy shirt in the photo, that made for an altogether too square shape. It needs to be tucked in and it needs to reveal your waist. 

I don't like a tight waistband so I'd suggest a more generous size which can sit fractionally below the waist line.







The tops which work include the cropped cardigan/jumper and Boden does two great options.









I chose the ivory in the end and I'm really pleased with it                                                                                                                                                
 
 
 
 
 
 

Or, if you're feeling flush, the Cashmere Cropped Cardigan - Boden £89 reduced to as little as £53 ( depending on the colour, and there's 24 to choose from )

 
 
 



 
 
 

Or a high neck ribbed funnel neck. Top Shop £14.





This bargain shirt from Tu at Sainsburys £16 , provided it is well tucked in - don't be tempted to ' blouse it out' too much - complements the ladylike vibe too.
 
 


 
 
 

Well, now we have what ' goes ', I'm on  with the skirt collection.

Sadly the skirts around are quite pricey but, as it's a shape which will be around forever, it is worth considering investing. Not surprisingly, LK Bennett and Coast offer some lovely options.


 


 
 

Beautiful with an ivory cropped cardigan or crew neck jumper.





LK Bennet Kenton Printed Skirt £195 from £250 at House of Fraser





Stunning print.


 
 

 

Timeless elegance. Fab for a Christmas party with a black cashmere, short sleeved, round neck jumper .










ASOS Tall Premium Satin Midi Skirt £22 from £55








A bare midriff is not essential but it does demonstrate the versatility of the style.

I had tended to think of this style skirt as one for evening only but this Zig Zag Pleated Midi Skirt from Topshop £55 and the one below from Zara ( £39.99 ) proves me wrong. Despite the heavier weight of the skirt, still keep your top half light with a fine knit at most.
 



 








So,I think I have now laid to rest the nightmare of black sausage legs ! Ladylike shapes from now on... Until the next time.















No comments:

Post a Comment