Long Cardigans - having their moment !


On Wednesday I went to the YSL Exhibition at Bowes Museum. It ends on the 8th November so, if you have a spare day between then and now, do go. It was wonderful. The quotation oft used and the tag line for the Exhibition  is ' Style is Eternal' and there is nothing better to sum up the clothes we saw. With the exception of the designs created for the theatre ( YSL did produce theatre costumes and , at the start of his career was torn as to whether to follow that path ) the outfits are as wearable today, and still as effortlessly stylish, as they were when they were designed and created. That remains true of those from the 50's through to the haute couture collection of 2000.

If Alexander McQueen was the enfant terrible of Fashion, precocious and subversive, YSL must be the Head Boy, the Elder Statesman. Smooth Motown to discordant, if inspired, Punk ! I know who I prefer.

Anyway, with a perversity which has a laughable beauty of its own, I had already chosen...... Cardigans as my blog topic. Hyperion to a satyr you might say ( or Hamlet might have said ! ) . I've started so I'll finish, as Magnus most certainly did say !!

We can't be style icons every day, or indeed many ( any ) days but we most certainly can sport a cardigan. This in between weather is perfect for them and they are having a real renaissance at the moment. I'm thinking here of the longer length ones, the one size covers all. Not quite the Coatigan which, to my mind is a smoother, more structured cut, but the relaxed, slouchy ones. 


Just like the poncho, which I featured in an earlier blog, the longer cardigans come in a lot of monochrome, Aztec type designs. I've picked a couple of the best around. Although the photographs generally show them with a casual jeans combo, they work brilliantly over a plain dress - jersey perhaps -or skirt and polo / tee too.


NOTE: Today ( Fri 30 th Oct 2015) John Lewis is doing a Price Match to House of Fraser so there are reductions of up to 40%. Check out their website and H of F if you fancy something for here less . I'm doing all the links to John Lewis today so you can make the most of the offer. Also, its easier for me. Win, win !








I love this from Mango with the contrast, bonded edging and the revere, almost but not quite, waterfall front. 

I haven't looked at the very bottom end, price wise, as with knitwear, it is worth paying a little more. You will realise why you should have after the first wash. Having said that, I'm still delighted with my Primark bargain. The patterning is not as subtle as the Mango one here and I much prefer that one, but for £16, I can't complain.








Bolder pattern here with the signature drop shoulders. This looks a slightly longer length than the Mango offering but a good price for what will no doubt quickly come an Autumn staple.


Topshop Oversized Fringed Cardigan by Glamorous £60




Oversized cardigan, Aztec design and fringing ! 3 current style riffs in one. The addition of the pockets and stand up collar add to it's attraction. Who doesn't love a pocket ?! 





More feature pockets from Next, edged in a contrasting blanket stitch which is repeated on the turn back edges on the front and across the breast bone. This is slightly shorter, falling at the top of the thigh and more boxy. Horses for courses.

 






Another from  Mango , this time in shades of blue which makes it unusual as the majority around stick to the black/ cream or grey . Cleverly, the bands of black increase the versatility from the obvious navy/ denim palette.









Still with blue,I really covet this striking colour mix on a chunky knit from Hush . It's made from space- dye yarn so no two will be the same. £110 isn't cheap but is more than reasonable for your own unique piece. This is a real keeper and you will no doubt dig it out year on year.


Moving on from cardigans where the interest is in the pattern to those where the focus is on the texture.



 





This comes with a detachable scarf. Thank God it's detachable is all I can say. Can you imagine being lumbered with that in Starbucks when you suddenly get overcome . That would be ripped off before you could say skinny latte ! Just thinking about it makes me sweat !

It's a real long liner which makes it perfect for belting, should the mood take you and, joking apart, the deep pockets and the scarf mean it would be brilliant for walks on crisp Autumn days.





M&S Limited Edition Cardigan with Scarf £45






I ordered this one when M&S had it's 20% offer. It had to go back though. Not for me. The scarf is integral to the design which, if I was a knitter , I'm sure I would say was most ingenious, but as I'm not, it was just a big fat mistake. A free scarf is in itself a good concept but I'd much prefer the option to remove it. See above.

Also....at 5 4"" it was very long. I looked like Maggie Smith in her Hogwarts persona. For someone taller it is great though. The yarn was soft but the look still stylishly chunky. It's far more luxe in reality than the price tag suggests.







This sleeveless number sneaked in because , although they call it a cardigan, clearly, without sleeves, it just isn't . I think it's  fab though and would definitely have taken a punt is it wasn't already sold out in my size.

Whilst I cannot see the benefit of a sleeveless or a barely sleeved coat ( madness ! ), waistcoats are another matter. Keeps your body snug with your arms free and cool to get on. In my dog walking self I am the gilet Queen. This is the week end, casual cool, incarnation. Wear over a long sleeved Tee Shirt or fine knit, maybe a polo neck. Wish my size was back.....







 
 

I'm tempted by this waterfall front number from Next though . The fringed edging is very much on trend and there can't be many wardrobes that this won't slot into. Perfect when the rest of your outfit is less so and you need a fast cover up which cuts the mustard and disguises your ill planned ensemble. Or am I the only one that happens to ? You know those days . Often Parents Evening. You know you're not quite the ticket and every other Mother(...er ) has clearly spent ages planning her but time has run out !!!!




Somerset by Alice Temperley at John Lewis Cable Knit Cardigan £99


 


A more fitted version which, now I look again, appears slightly dated next to the other, more generously proportioned, cardigans. I would be tempted to size up with this one to give the desired, more slouchy, effect. This is a classic design though and, properly cared for, will last and last. Teamed with a pair of skinnies and boots it will take you any wear. With more of a whiff of Ralph Lauren. For a fraction of the cost.




Samson & Samsoe Kimmy Longline Cardigan  at John Lewis £135






And lastly.... This is the Marmite of cardigans . Love it or hate it. I think that it's striking design has bags of appeal but I can equally appreciate that, unless carefully styled, you might run the risk of looking as if you belong to that strange pack of Middle Aged Ladies who buy fleeces with the Heads of Huskies on !! Or soaring Eagles ! You know who I mean. Forgive me.

With skinnies ( again - sorry but the baggy, long proportion of the cardigan demands it ) and a cool pair of skater shoes or these pumps from what looks like Superga, I reckon you can risk it. Brazen it out, I dare you. I reckon this won't be to everyone's taste so wait til the Sales and grab it for less.

Well, the complete antithesis of dear old YSL but pound per wear, I think you'll agree that the cardigans win hands down. Just don't expect any retrospective exhibition of these anytime soon ! 









No comments:

Post a Comment