Fur Gilets - every home should have one

I'd forgotten how much I loved gilets until a few weeks ago I tried to get hold of the beautiful, pale pink version from M&S which, amazingly, was in the Sale. Small was too tight and Medium sold out. Boo Hoo ! It did however give me the appetite to see what else is around this Season.

Gilets are the Gods' way to offer compensation for shortening nights, together with the end of the torture of leg waxing. Hurrah ! A fair trade I'd say.

Whilst a fur gilet is utterly useless in the likes of yesterday's apocalyptic rain, it is the perfect choice for chilly but crisp days and manages to add an air of luxe to the most casual of outfits. Great for dressing up a jeans/ boot combo, but don't be restricted to that alone. They can look amazing over a dress- particularly the boho/ folk midi dress which is such big news at the moment. I have a selection and often throw one on over my Boden Carnaby Dress which is a jersey, Sixties style, button through. It's on it's last legs now sadly - looks like the dog's adopted it for bedding - so what's around now?

With a few exceptions, this year's incarnation is a longer line and my absolute favourite is this from French Connection. It's not cheap but there's 20% off at the moment using the Code AW20ST.









This looks brilliant with the skinny leg jeans/ pleather trousers and will also work with a ( shorter ) skirt or the midi length dress. Really luxurious looking and a style and quality which will last.










Whilst I would gladly catch and skin the foxes which haunt my road and garden, whose cries shatter the night's peace on a regular basis, I don't think that will be happening anytime soon. This from Biba seems a good alternative. There's a lot of gilets in black and shades of taupe or brown, but this is really unusual. Love it or hate it I guess, rather like the Fox.

Biba at House of Fraser Faux Fox Fur Longline Gilet £110

I am rather disconcertingly reminded of roll mop herrings with this offering from M&S  but it would certainly add interest to a black palette. Just carry a chopped boiled egg in your pocket too. Good enough to eat.


M&S Collection £69



Cream is more versatile than you think. I bought a cream shaggy gilet from Primark last year for peanuts and I've worn and worn it. Usually the more one pays the better the fur. Not always the case however. Give it the stroke test and you'll know what looks cheap and what will pass muster. I like this from good Old Marks. A couple of inches longer would have improved it in my opinion, but still a worthy option.




M&S Indigo Collection £69




If you say the word 'Mint Velvet ' to most of my friends they will sigh and say 'Ahhh, I love Mint Velvet ' and I have to say I agree. They do smart casual so well and the colouring of their gilet is typically subtle. This style is made both with and without a collar and, although a slightly shorter length - it falls on the hip line- it is going to work with both trousers and a skirt or dress. This is a better option for the more vertically challenges amongst us ( me included). Will avoid you looking like something from Michael Bentine's "Potty Time ".

A choice between a collar and without ? I'd go without. Faux fur is not the easiest to clean and needs dry cleaning. A stand up collar will soon get grimy with your foundation. You know it !


Mint Velvet Camel Faux Fur Gilet £109













I'm loving the Woodland Creature look of this from Oasis. Furry but not too bulky and with great "animaly " patterning as opposed to a block colour. 

Oasis Casual Long Fur Gilet £58



 
 







This from Warehouse has a similar vibe to the Oasis one but with grey tones overlaying a minky/ taupe background . Even more versatile.



Warehouse at House of Fraser £69


 
 


Now, I have included the two from Wallis, despite the obvious styling crimes, because, if you are a little cautious of going the full furry hog ( what am I saying ?!) these may be the answer. They are less shaggy than the others , more silky waistcoat, but I like the texturing. Maybe a little astrakhan perhaps ? Think of these as the penguins you hold onto on the ice rink when you need help standing. Before you ditch them for full skates or a full, thigh length, Bolshevik style fur Fest !

Wallis Black Fur Gilet £35

 



And in Cream




Another discreet ( who said safe ? ) option is the shorter gilet version from Oasis which comes in a pretty silvery grey and black. I would call this a Starter Gilet and, at this price, and with this quality of fabric, it's a good place to dip your toe.


Oasis Short Glam Fur Gilet ( also available in black ) £55

 







Back to shaggy ! I know it's called Chinchilla but the colours remind me of the fur on the head of a Barn Owl. The one with the white face and then this colour cowl .For £39 it's an absolute steal and the variation in the fur, the shading and the detail, suggests an outlay a great deal more than this. I don't have one in this colour..... Yet . 



Dorothy Perkins Chinchilla Faux Fur Gilet £39

NB 25% off til Midnight tonight (Thursday 8th Oct )





From the sublime to the ridiculous, price wise . Actually, with Whistles you know that you are buying wonderful quality and that, long after the cheaper versions have clumped at the places of friction, ie the collar, you will still be wearing your Whistles number without the cheap parka hood effect. 

This is an unusual style of fur. Not smooth in the plush style and not long, hairy fur. It's almost like overgrown pony skin. Really attractive and in a lovely, warm, Sandy cream colour.













And finally... When I initially saw this I thought 'Ugh' but it's grown on me. I like to have the odd thing which really makes me smile. This does. It's amusing. The colour combo is inspired. What won't it go with ? It can't pass without comment and they will be queuing up to stroke you.

It's a little bit  Shrimps, at a fraction of the price , and I , for one, will be stalking it in the sales. 



Oui at House of Fraser Faux Fur Striped Gilet £189





I hope I've convinced you of the merits of a fur gilet. Once you've had a gilet, in fur, you'll never look back...as Eddie Murphy would have said .if he'd tried one !!

No comments:

Post a Comment