M&S New Season Occasion Wear Edit


I have just received an e mail from Marks with their new collection of occasion wear. TBH I would normally let it slip soundlessly into trash but I was really taken by the dress in the banner which, despite the bits of writing I can't crop out, I thought worth sharing. Why is it that their general  ads are so appealing and the styling which accompanies a new launch like this one so seductive, yet when one looks at individual products on the website they are so meh if not downright depressing ? !

I think this dress looks terrific as Tony Blackburn might say but distinctly iffy in the following photo. Granted you need a bit of swagger to carry this off , together with a good pair of Spanx , but I think it could be a great party choice . I've ordered it ' to see ' . I'll let you know .


 Snakeskin Print Sequin Embellished Bodycon £69



 
 




I've looked through my choices again and seen that it's all about texture and sparkle for me. No change there. Sequins, lurex thread, jacquard fabric and my beloved faux fur. Yum !


Sequin Zip Through Biker Jacket £89





I did worry that this was a bit Mary Berry but decided that even if Mary could be it's poster girl, it can happily work for all ages and with all styles. Over a LBD, with leather trousers, a mini or a beautifully cut midi skirt. The options are endless. For the money I think it's a great investment and that you could still be pulling this one on when you get the Telegram from HRH.


Love this funnel neck jumper. This will work with cropped trousers or for a 20's vibe, with wide legged trousers. Cigarette holder optional.


Funnel Neck Metallic Effect Jumper £25









This jumper would look rubbish on me. I would be too concerned that the ribs weren't running straight , down over my boobs- a relic of the Brutus shirt days. However for someone with less hang ups and a slightly less inconvenient  cup size it's brilliant. An instant glam to a plain skirt or jeans.




I dithered about including this one as bomber jacket styles , as opposed to the Biker Style, remind me of Dick Emery and his Bovver Boy. It is however most unusual to get sequins in a jacket like this which are this rich goldy/ bronze.The fact that it is already out of stock at the bottom and top ends of the size spectrum suggests I'm not the only one to appreciate it's merits.











These classic straight leg trousers are given a whole new feel with the use of the subtle animal print contained in the jacquard. I would avoid any pattern in the top half here. A classic pussy bow blouse or crew neck jumper are the perfect foil.



Animal Print Jacquard Slim Leg Trouser. £35







The interest in this dress is the use of satin panelling with the fullness of the skirt at the back, together with the deep V and rear zip. I think it will only come to life and reveal it's full appeal when worn and the movement of the fabric will be revealed . Given the neckline I wouldn't add a necklace, just a pair of dangly earrings.













Per Una Speziale Feather Cape £99




This feather cape is a real conversation piece and is the item round which to build your outfit. Which will need no frills or furbelows . Absolutely stunning over a black column dress or a Ghost like , bias cut , swishy number. Theatrical and a bit OTT ? Perhaps . Dramatic and bold ? Definitely.

Top Shop had an almost identical version to this a few years ago which , when it went into sale, I wish I had snapped up. True it's not an every day staple, you may not wear it from one year to the next, but, lovingly stored, it's yet another timeless piece which you can conjure up if and when you need it. 

My only reservation is that it reminds me of Kate Mosse's ' The Taxidermist ' but I'm willing to bury that thought if you are ?!



Faux Fur Striped Coat £99

 

What to say? Me and fur coats ! I love this one which exudes glamour and is in a  colour way which will stand the test of time. Great with your smart duds, just as good, better perhaps, shrugged on with your jeans and boots combo.






Faux Fur Box Clutch Bag £29.50

More texture with this faux fur box clutch. Just make sure you thoroughly dry your hands and have rubbed in all that hand cream before you do clutch it !






Suede Ankle Boots £59

Finally. I included these boots in an earlier blog and ordered them for myself. They are truly lovely and the high cut elastic avoids that unsightly gaping round the ankle which, for me, spoils the ankle boot and skirt look. These are elegant and look way more expensive than the £59 price tag. The suede really adds to the luxe feel and the elastic appears more like grosse grain ribbon.

 However..... For me, they were too high. I couldn't walk comfortably in them despite my best efforts and the Insolia technology. My friend , more used to heels, found them super comfortable though. Horses for courses.





So, the round up is complete. Well worth a look but I strongly suggest you try to concentrate on the item itself rather than the ' look ' presented in the photos on the website! You can make them look a whole lot better.

1 comment:

  1. Round up of the best of the new season Occasion Wear from M&S. Some rel stunners and well worth a look!

    ReplyDelete