Mary Janes

Just a quickie today on the shoes of the moment. Well my moment anyway. Prompted by my outfit on Sunday when we went to my dear Friend's 25th Wedding Anniversary Dinner at Rudding Park, near Harrogate. As usual I was on the last minute and had to hurl myself out of the house, grabbing the usual shoes ( LK Bennett patent courts ) ,  getting a quick snap and screeching off. And.... I wasn't happy. All of a sudden my old shoe friends seemed wrong. Frumpy and staid. I certainly won't be chucking them out any time soon but I definitely think a lengthy sojourn at the back of the wardrobe is needed.

What I needed was THESE beauties from Boden or the Sindy Version to these Barbies with the slightly lower heel. See below.

I had had them in the back of my mind for a few weeks and I'm cross I didn't share them with you earlier because... When I got around to opening the Style magazine of the Times later on Sunday evening, there they were on the Contents page. Also in Saturday's What to Buy. Annoying but at least it means I'm on the right track.

I've put a pic of Sunday's outfit below that of the Boden shoes. Otherwise it will give a misleading impression on the blog title where the first pic shows up. Please keep up ! 
I'm sure you will see what I mean about looking dated. That and the fact that I wore tights!! Forgot to fake tan and, again, it's odd how tights, once perfectly acceptable, at this moment just seem WRONG.


Note: Boden has 25% off until Thursday ( 5 th Nov ). Then it's 15% til Saturday and 10% Sunday


Boden Embellished Mary Jane £129 pre discount ( now £96.75 )

Oatmeal ' Crumble ' Velvet




Look at the beautiful,embellishment and the neutral colour means it will co ordinate with lots of things you already own. I did worry that the amount of bling- its even on the heel - might suggest a wet playtime in Reception Class but I've quashed that thought. These are razzle dazzle statement shoe and too much is never enough.

Me on Sunday with the offending shoes !








In Blue





And Black





Black is a wardrobe staple although, if I had to choose ( and of course, I'm not choosing, if my Husband or Family are reading ) I think I'd go for the oatmeal pair. These are possibly a bit Pearly Queen. Great for a night at "The Old Bull and Bush " but , maybe I'm wrong .

These Embellished Mary Janes are lovely in themselves but they do need to contribute to your clothes collection. They will look totally fabulous with this Season's Maxi Dresses, boho or otherwise and with a pair of slim leg, maybe satin, cigarette pants . They will completely transform your jeans and pretty top combo. Shoes for life, not just for Christmas.
 




Black Velvet with Glitter Heel
 



Boden describe this shoe as a classic shape reimagined which is spot on. The choice of texture for the uppers- black Velvet, navy suede and glitter coated suede - is inspired. Add to that the contrasting heels, both colour and material wise- and you get an inspired twist on an old favourite.

Heel height wise these are probably better for me. These are a style with all the glamour and none of the  pay off for your back or in my case, my left big toe. I've clearly inherited my Mother's weakness in that regard. Anyway, I completely love them. Beautiful and wearable. These are shoes to make you smile.


Navy Suede
 






Pewter Glitter with contrast Glitter Gold Heel
 


 

These  will satisfy your inner Party Princess. I'm already doing my Dorothy impression. Clicking  my heels and transporting myself to lands far away. Far away from this blasted fog anyway. Don't restrict yourself to party or posh dos though. Wear them with everything and know you are the wearer of the magic sparkle shoes !


Well, Boden has my heart but there are other, more practical , versions on the High Street. I'm going to have to whizz through. I'm supposed to have packed for 3 days in Bambrugh but have just learnt there's no internet so it's now or never for this blog.


Clarks Chinaberry Pop £55

Black Patent

Clarks can always be relied in to spot a trend and make it wearable. These are a good heel height and offer two more exciting colour options for those of you with more courage. They are a great price and look far more expensive. They come in half sizes which is a big bonus . Simple, stylish and neat.


Gunmetal Leather



Predictably, my favourite.


Leopard Print


The version by M&S is not strictly a Mary Jane and is a bit more " Suffragette " than I like but it is a sound option for the look, at a reasonable price. They are only faux suede, not leather though which explains the price tag. For my money, I would pay more and invest in leather. Its a style which is going to be around for some time.


M&S Dolly Shoe in Faux Suede £25

Black ( also in Red )







John Lewis Alice Block Heeled Mary Jane £65
Cute and feminine with a low block heel and feature button on the strap. These from John Lewis will look as good with a Sixties Style shift as with neat cropped trousers and a beautiful silky blouse.Great value .





Hobbs Tess Mary Janes at John Lewis , Black Suede £119
A very similar style from Hobbs but twice the price ! I like them but I wouldn't pay double . I do know that Hobbs has a large and loyal following for shoes so perhaps I'm missing something though.



Clarks Orla Kiely Double Strap Mary Jane £120


The trade mark flower gives these away as Orla Kiely. They won't be to everyone's taste as they are very much a reworking of the style with its double strap and slightly heavier look. They have a beauty and style of their own though with the mock croc vamp and the cheeky raised button flower. These are more than a nod to the Sixties ( less of a nod , more of a complete prostration ) and , with the shift I referenced above, or a mini and opaques, you'll look Carnaby Street ready.

PS: Because they are a particular taste, you can expect them to be heavily discounted in the coming Sales. Might be worth hanging on .

And in Gold !

Less practical of course... But life is short and these are groovy. Can you imagine what your 7 year old self would have made of these ? I bet you'd have slept with them in your pillow! Or was that only me ? With a pair of apricot, suede ' Golden Dollies' which ,amazingly, negligently, my Mother allowed me to choose and buy myself. God I loved those shoes!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment