Primark Sweep


Last Wednesday , somewhat amazingly, I found myself with a spare hour in Town and, because I was meeting my Husband after his business appointment , there was none  of the usual, ' but if I stay any longer the car park will rack up another.. £500 '. A guilt free hour then. The weather was foul so I wasn't for tramping the streets. Primark beckoned...... And this is what I found. And I wasn't even really trying !

Primark gets a bad rap from some quarters but if you have the time ( ha! I hear you snort ! ) and the patience, there are some amazing buys. I'm not suggesting that you go head to toe but, when teamed with what you already have, it's definitely possible to look stylish and chic, without breaking the bank. I bet you'd spend more in Prets on lunch than some of these babies !!


My first offering must be the buy of the week. Originally priced at a very meagre £13, when I got to the till, this was..... £2 ! And it's really nice. It comes in black at full price, see below, but this deep claret was a great alternative. 

It definitely needs  a waist slip to stop it clinging ( my 14 year old had never heard of a slip or petticoat, believing the latter to come straight from " Great Expectations "! How ancient did I feel?! ) but once that was on, it hung beautifully. The sleeves are sheer and the lace detail on the shoulder ( good lace, not nasty, shiny ) adds interest.

The style falls from the pleat at the breastbone giving a fluidity which means no worries about control pants. Perfect for a big lunch !
 
Lace Shoulder Dress £2









I decided to style the dress with opaques and Boden Velvet Mary Janes. It would work just as well with boots ( as I did with the black version, below ), either with a heel or without. For a more casual vibe, flat ballet pumps will work. For £2 or indeed the full £13 this dress is a good throw on and go. Dress up or down.








This is the black version. £13.






Close up of the shoulder lace.







There are a million occasions for this dress. All you have to do is wear it. I can't do everything !

I put the dress with stretchy knee length boots here. They need to be close fitting to balance the trapeze shape. Wider topped boots will make you look too blockish and cuboid.Or with heeled ankle boots to be really on trend.






I absolutely love this dress which at £20 is expensive for Primark. But let's get this into perspective. Thats one of the weird things about shopping in a Primark, an item which you would have snapped up anywhere else in the HighStreet as a bargain, begins to seem too much to pay. Give yourself a slap and get back to real life comparisons . This is a steal. 


This is a great homage to D&G. Whilst I would, of course, prefer the D&G version, fact is I'd have nowhere to justify wearing it, quite apart from lacking the means . I could try and steal it but , as I'm not a TV chat show personality , I doubt I could blag my way out of that  one if caught. I'd wear this one gladly though. 

The amount of detail is just so pleasing. I particularly like the two vertical lace pieces down the bodice, which draw the eye in and down, creating a narrower chest area and which appears to lengthen the torso.

The lace is good. Not shiny or silver threaded and itchy. I like the fact that the sleeves are bracelet length and scalloped as opposed to a plain, straight hem. They have even made sure that the back has interest too, with a key hole fastening and two gold buttons at the raised collar.








This Dolce &Gabbana dress is the first I grabbed from the internet. There are versions even closer to the Primark one but I'm sure you can see what seam they are working here. And for around £1,400 less, I'm happy to squint , aren't you?








Detailing on the back.





I did find that the camisole/ slip was quite tight but it needs to be as the lace is so close fitting. I teamed the dress with a pair of pointed Gucci sling backs ( ancient but still cherished and still enduring). I confess to wearing tights - too lazy to fake tan - but you real fashionistas will know that this is a fashion faux pas at the moment. It should be bare legs only. Clearly those Front Row Tartars have never experienced a Yorkshire Winter ( or indeed a Yorkshire Autumn.... Or Spring... Or.... !) Tights it is then !








Saw this evening bag - £10 - which I would happily team  with the dress. Those in Dune and just  about everywhere else on the High Street are easily 3 times as much. I guess I wouldn't throw it around too much and I wouldn't bet on it's longevity should you choose to dance round it at your Works Do, but treat it kindly and you'll be fine.







Black and Silver Thread, Crew Neck Jumper £10

This was the first item I saw in store and the one which drew me in. I think we would once have called it Lurex but I didn't want to put you off. It isn't itchy like the old lurex used to be and the simple style makes it really versatile. A bit of glitter glams up any outfit  and it works as well with jeans, when you want to make a BIT of an effort, as it does in a more formal ensemble.

The necklace is £4 and is also made in silver ( see below) . It sits perfectly.







I'm wearing mine with my Zara Pleather Skirt ( which I bought for my Son's Graduation ) and which has already more than paid for itself. Less serious than a true fabric pencil skirt, this length feels both youthful and edgy ( I said " feels" , you are free to disagree ) but never desperate . I'm breaking myself in slowly to the ankle boots and skirt/ dress combo. Suddenly it's everywhere and long boots look a little dated. I was despatched upstairs to change into my pony skin Bertie ankle boots by my Fashion Hero 14 year old after initially appearing in the stretch knee highs. I'm working on it.








Grey and Silver Thread Crew Neck Jumper £10




Necklace in Silver £4







Basically, this jumper, like the black one will work everywhere . I've styled mine very much in the Wardrobe/ Lifestyle Disconnect which Caitlin Moran so hilariously described in the Sunday Times Magazine today. What she means is that we often buy clothes for a life we DON'T lead. There are very few occasions when I need a palazzo pant and sparkly jumper outfit ( honestly, all I need is a long cigarette holder and a martini in this get up ) but... If I did, I've got one for a tenner !! Wear yours with whatever you like !








This is a long chiffon, fluted bottom skirt. I bought it years ago - from Lewis' on the Headrow - that long ago. Never been worn . Perfect example of a Wardrobe/ Lifestyle disconnect but such a good buy I couldn't resist. I'm going to wear it and pretend I'm one of the Ladies who " Good Housekeeping " always feature at this time of year. You know the ones, who dress their Christmas Tree in full make up and Evening Wear, ably assisted by their adoring Husband and Family . Unlike the usual jeans and rictus smile I wear when I realise, once again, I'm the only person left on the job. Me and bl***y Chris De Burgh !!







Black and Silver Polo Neck £8

Polo necks have had a resurgence in popularity this year. I usually avoid them as they make me too hot but this is a lovely lightweight version.








I wanted to wear this more slouchy and sized up. It doesn't quite work though as the body remained stubbornly fitted and the arms got mentally long. In the end I've exchanged it for my usual size and forfeited the oversized look. Still works- just differently.

I'm wearing it with my M&S High Waisted Skinny Jeans and the Suede Over the Knee Boots. Maybe add a furry gilet if you're venturing out.






This furry coat won't be to everyone's taste, but I think it's fab . It's £25 but I reckon it will be reduced before too long. There were still lots left. You might be thinking ' No wonder ' but , if you have a sense of fun, it's perfect. It's sooo soft and very lightweight. Similar versions elsewhere retail for nearly double the price. And when you've finished, it will make a super dog bed !






Close up






Paired with the Polo Neck and Skinny Jeans combo.







At the other end of the sensible spectrum is this cardigan. It's only £8 but the grey is a subtle shade and the drape and addition of low pockets make it look a great deal more expensive than the price tag. Who couldn't do with another, neutral, Cardigan ??




I'd avoid wearing this over anything too staid to avert the whiff of Mumsy but slouchy , over jeans, is fine.




Finally, for clothes, is this, if not full nod, but eyebrow raise to Chanel. It's difficult to see in the photo but this cardigan - £14 - has a gold thread which runs through the yarn which, rather than looking naff, really adds to it's appeal.

It will perfectly pull together an all black outfit, making it look smarter and more formal than a simple cardigan.





I tried it over a M&S Limited Collection long sleeved T shirt and black jeans but I'd also team it with my stretchy black, knee length skirt. 






Finishing with two statement bracelets, both brilliantly priced and both which pack a real style punch.


Gold Cuff £4



Diamanté Stretch Bracelet £5 




Hope you found something you liked. It really is worth a good look. Happy hunting !

No comments:

Post a Comment