Cotton Kaftans

To me, unless your kaftan is cotton, it's a waste of time. There are thousands around in beautiful prints , with fabulous beading but made from man made fibre. If you are somewhere really hot the thought of encasing yourself in polyester is an absolute no no.

I have scoured the High Street to bring you only cotton options. This means that colour and pattern are limited but you will thank me as you sit down to lunch and feel cool and covered and every other woman around you is red faced and slippery. I've been the woman who put pattern and visual punch above comfort and never again!

I'm going off for a few days and have given no thought as to what to take. Today is the day to pack so, happily perhaps for you, I will keep my comments, such as they are, brief. Just enjoy a flick through the offerings and think of me when you wear them. What a thought-scrub that! Have a good time wherever you go.


The first few are white, as many, but not all, cotton kaftans are. This is relieved by some very pretty embroidery.

Debenhams Beach Collection  Embroidered Kaftan £23.80 (was £34)




Butterfly by Matthew Williamson at Debenhams White Butterfly Embroidered Kaftan £22.50 (was £45)

I have a confession with this one (aleady!)- its 55% cotton and 45% viscose georgette. A mix but given the high cotton content, and the fact that's its loose,I think it should be fine.

 


Janet Reger at Debenhams White Leaf Embroidered Kaftan £36 (was £45)


 
 
Simple and stylish and a great price. Get it !



East Flamingo Ikat Print Tunic at John Lewis £62 (was £89)

More expensive but East really know what they are doing with clothes for hot weather. The detailing and delicate embroidery make it worth the extra. Also, notice those sleeves. A gentle fluting , which  isn't too tight or restrictive, with the bottom beautifully embroidered too. Perfect.





East Gracie Print Kaftan at John Lewis £48 (was £69)

I'm not entirely sure about the print as I like my cover ups to match my swim wear. This one might be a bit tricky to do that with but it would of course tone with a number of colours. Very pretty though and in the holy grail of 100% cotton.


 
 
Navy is a great choice. Looks fab with most shades - I particularly like it against a red bikini or swim suit .Added advantage that its not going to show the sun cream smudges or the inevitable news print from the Times  (or "Hello"- you are on holiday!).
 

 
 
 
 
Another winner from John Lewis made all the more attractive by the brilliant reduction. The big plus with this style is the fact that its not transparent in the least. You can pull that on , have lunch and devour as much as you like, safe in the knowledge that your overindulgence won't immediately register to the rest of the world as you saunter back to the sun bed!
 
 

http://www.johnlewis.com/
 
 
Plenty that this will complement and, despite looking, I haven't found it cheaper than this at John Lewis. The tassels are everywhere this year- I keep saying that I know- and this is right on trend. Real fiesta feel.

 
 
 
More tassels and more delicate stitchery. This will also double up over wide leg linen trousers as the sun goes down or is more than suitable for hotel breakfasts. I'm always amazed at what some people come down in. I'm just not ready for a bikini top and a sarong in the dining room at 8am. And that's just some men!!
 
 

 


I received a great brochure several weeks ago from a Company called Aspiga. If you are a serial holiday maker or traveller to warm and exotic places, you really should check it out. It was inspired by a visit to Kenya by the founder and the beautiful handmade products she found there. The Company still has 5 suppliers in Kenya ( thus helping the local economy) and  has also branched out to a number of small designer labels too.

 Honestly, the range is amazing- sandals, bags, jewellery, kaftans and cover ups-even a beaded dog collar! It is not the sort of stuff that looks so attractive on holiday but looks all wrong when you get it home. It might be the subject of a future blog but , in the meantime, have a look online for their range of kaftans. The photos have not been easy to transfer to this blog but I've given you a taste of two, although probably not the most exciting of examples.

Warning though- not cheap but truly beautiful, vibrant colours and exquisite detail. Sadly, you do pay for that.

Aspiga Star Mela Embroidered Kaftan £69 (was £85)


 
 
 

 
In pale green

 
 


In White with pale gold print


 
 
 
I coveted almost every item on the Aspiga website and had to tear myself away.
 
Although the majority of kaftans at ASOS were of the polyester/viscose type - stunning but, to me, impractical, they did have a couple of excellent cotton options.
 
 
A little hard to tell from the photograph but the embroidery on this kaftan is neon- yellow, orange and watermelon.
 



ASOS Somedays Lovin Oversized Kaftan £64


This is made from 100% cotton jersey which, although cotton is obviously heavier than "ordinary " cotton. This is more suitable off the beach as its mid weight but a definite contender for the suitcase if the evenings are more chilly.


 
 

I love this. Its just the kind of quirky buy that you keep for years. Its also just the kind of thing  that my 13 year old will take as confirmation that her Mother has gone mad and, yet again, is wearing age inappropriate clothing!! Too bad, as I've said before, if not now, when? Anyway, unless you live in North Leeds and are off to Marbella, no one knows you so.. you can be who you want !!

What's particularly delicious is all that pattern on 100% cotton - Result !


 
 
Finally offering from ASOS.
 
ASOS Cold Shoulder Fringed Beach Cover Up £24
 
Made from lightweight cheesecloth with a semi sheer finish, this comes in 3 useful colours. The shoulders are exposed and it has macramé tassel cuffs. Cool in every way. It might just slip past Daughter Number 2 and, lets face it, is a great deal more exciting than that old one from Marks that you keep pulling out!!
 
 

 
 

 
 
Right, I'm off to get sorted.
 
 If you've stayed the course and read to the end, can I ask you a favour? I need you to Follow me in whatever medium you choose- Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. I understand that is the measure of success and , heaven knows, I'd like some of that. I'm a novice at the Social Media game and although I've gathered advice where I can, I could always do with more. Talk to me and give me your tips. I would love to hear you.

No comments:

Post a Comment