Ponchos and Capes



I'm writing this blog for a second time. On Sunday I proudly finished but, it appears, forgot to Save on the I pad before transferring to the laptop. I hate technology ! The loss seemed like a metaphor for my life- all that work..... So, with the kind encouragement of my eldest daughter, I begin again. Silly to be defeated by something so small. Maybe it's the rain. Here goes...

A couple of weeks ago both my fashion savvy, younger, daughter and one of my most stylish friends appeared in ponchos. I started to have a little look around to see what options there were for now and looking ahead.
 
Ponchos or Capes. What's not to love ? Neither will reveal your over indulgence at the All Inclusive or reproach you for too many returns to the barbeque. One size really can fit all - well almost. It is the ultinmate in grab and go, covering up whatever fashion faux pas lies beneath. It makes a style statement, creates a feel of cavalier insouciance , is dramatic and bold. No shrinking violet wore a cape or poncho .Think the Flashing Blade. Or Zorro . Once you've tried, you'll never look back! 


The blanket cape in particular was emerging as a real trend last season with an almost floor length offering from Ralph Lauren appearing throughout the fashion press. To me though, although a poncho/cape is a somewhat bold fashion statement anyway, last season's ground length ones were a step (or a foot ) too far  in the drama stakes. This year though, certainly on the High Street , there are a number of really wearable options.
 
The first few offerings are great for now. Or they will be if this blasted rain ever stops. Lightweight and easy, they are perfect for when you need to add a little warmth . Please note however DESPITE THE STYLING IN THE PHOTOGRAPHS,  IT IS NOT OBLIGATORY TO WEAR THEM WITH SHORTS !! Just saying.... they do need a slimmer bottom half to balance out the width of the style but, fear not, that can just as happily be in the form of skinny jeans or slim leg trousers. Do make sure they are narrow though- you don't want the silhouette of Sponge Bob! Not a good look.
 
They have been massive this Summer on the Festival scene but you don't need to be Alexa Cheung or Kendall Jenner to own this look. Grown ups ( are we grown up? Why does my outside not match up with the way I feel inside? ie 22??) can handle them just as well, but differently.
 
 Later, I'll showcase those which will take you from Summer (ha ha) through to the Autumn.
 
Charlotte and her Trusty Assistant, Daisy, in her Hollister Poncho £27.99
 
This style can be worn alone (it has sleeves as opposed to a true poncho) or with a T Shirt or cami underneath. And joy, I can squeeze into it . Don't tell her though. I shall have to wait til September until School is back before snaffling this one for the day.
 
 
 




Similar style. Clean and fresh, Hellenic patterning , which looks fab with white skinnies or jeans. Or, yes, shorts if you're cool enough .


A good holiday throw over. This will work with over a light cami at home when the sun finally returns.

In sand and pale pink


 
 

I love this oversized, soft fabric poncho with the knotted fringing . Plenty of material  gives it a luxe feel which belies the price tag. This is going to be great to stuff in your suitcase for when the sun goes down or to roll up in your hand luggage to snuggle into on the plane. It also works, being less "tribal" than many, for home.
 
 



ASOS Vila Aztec Poncho £35 from £55

This is the first of many Aztec designs . A lovely Summer weight  poncho with a slouchy open knit , fluid lines and wide cut sleeves.


 


Warehouse Textured Border Cape £25

I have always admired the Jewish Prayer Shawls (Tallit) and, as the only way I would ever get to wear one would be to audition for Yentl , this monochrome cape with plaited tassels , is the closest I will get. I absolutely love it.




 
 
 
 
 
This stylish Cape Scarf is the antithesis of the more boho styles around.  Worn like a waistcoat, its a hybrid between a scarf and a cape and the tasteful, neutral shades of the jacquard print means it can be layered and utilised with a huge array of colours.
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 

Not being a Corrie fan since the days of Hilda Ogden and Ena Sharples, when we religiously watched it with Granny, I had to Google Michelle Keegan. Great job Michelle producing this one. I just hope she can keep up with the multiple orders for this stylish monochrome number. As well as the obvious black skinny jeans combo, Michelle illustrates the versatility of the cape, combining it with a ( close fitting) dress and creating a relaxed but smart ( Granny speak again)  ensemble.
 
 
 





Next Mono Chevron Woven Poncho £12 from £25


This is a brilliant buy from the Next Sale and I must fess up and say I ordered it in this grey and black combination. I haven't received it yet so can't report on it's weight and warmth but I have high hopes for its value as an in between outerwear option.




in Raspberry and Navy


 
 

Me in my Next ,Super buy Capey/Cardigan £14

I also managed to bag this in store and on its first outing received two compliments from both my friends. Not a bad result for less than £15.

 

 
 
 
 
Mango Striped Boucle Cape £29.99 from £59.99
 
Made from cotton blend boucle with long sleeves, this is a bargain option for the future.
 
 
 
 




 
I'm not entirely sure why this is  designated as an Aztec design, maybe the people at AOS were just tired, but I would call it a chevron pattern . In any event I can almost feel from looking how warm and cosy this poncho is. Its mid weight in a chunky knit with ribbed fitted cuffs ( a nice touch) Again, great for when the sun goes down on holiday and it will look equally appropriate here .
 
 



 
 
 
 
Another swingeing reduction from ASOS. What warrants such a low price is not immediately obvious. I would consider the charcoal and black, the length and the fringed trims to be big pluses. It also has a deep V neck line which, although flattering, does have a downside in that you are then forced to consider what to wear underneath. Because it will show. And the beauty of a poncho is that, usually, that isn't an issue. I think I may have answered my own question. That and the open weave, which may well sag. Still... I think , at that price, it would be rude not to even try !



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
This is more akin to the Hollister poncho at the start. I'm not entirely convinced of the longer at the back than the front idea. What do you think ? Perhaps, once again , I'm confusing the girl in the picture with me. I see her laughing round a campfire on a beach in Cornwall , something I can say I have never done, and keeping out the chills in her trendy poncho. Deluded? It has been said !
 
 
 
 
 




Me in my ancient Zara cape (from back in the time it was probably called Marie Louise !)
You know what I said about a cape not showing if you'd overeaten ? Well,clearly, I lied ! You will just have to trust me when I say that on each outing, somebody makes a positive comment.





 
 


Topshop Aztec Print Cape £38

Now, the next few offerings will also draw comments but not necessarily positive ones. That doesn't mean that you have made the wrong choice, just that some people , by this I mean Men, are often sartorially narrow minded . You must prepare yourself for someone whistling the theme tune to some spaghetti western. I can already hear my Father drawling, in his best Clint Eastwood accent that "buzzards gotta eat, same as worms ". Ignore those naysayers. This is a big look this AW and you are going to look fabulous, darling, when you chuck them on with your jeans and bashed up ankle boots.



 
 
 
 
 

Miss Selfridge Aztec Striped Cape at John Lewis £28
 

 
 

 
Perhaps more easy to wear, particularly for those who are readily discouraged, is this faux fur trimmed cape. I am a big fan of faux fur so basically put a bit of fur on anything and I have to have it. Maybe that's what attracted me to my Husband, with his hairy chest an all ! Anyhoo, the fur adds a more luxurious feel to an already chic throw on cape but you also have the option to remove it which, for me, makes it the best option of the bunch.
 
 
 
 

 
 



River Island Navy Tartan Faux Fur Trimmed Tassel Cape £40

More lovely faux fur in strong navy and red.







River Island Navy Check Tasselled Oversized Cape £35

The collarless version. If you like the fur, but not all the time, its a wiser buy to purchase this one and then buy a fur collar or tippet for your "fur" days. It obviously pushes up the price but can easily be justified if you then use the fur collar with other outfits.










ASOS Blanket Cape £75

This, from ASOS is one of the more expensive options, largely because it has a higher wool content at 23%. It is however an absolute classic with a really pleasing checked design and perfect proportions. You are not obliged to wear little round glasses with it though, don't worry.




 
 
 
 
 
Finally these last three are either faux suede or, in the case of the final offering, real suede. They do have the potential to make you look like an extra from "Annie, Get Your Gun" so you need to think about the rest of your clothes wisely. Maybe avoid a lumberjack shirt and cowboy boots, but if the rest of your outfit is clean cut and classic, this is going to make the kind of interesting addition which makes fashion so much fun.
 
 



In Black

This would prove a brilliant alternative to a formal jacket or even the ubiquitous leather biker ,over you party dress come the season.


 
 
 
 
I like the suede because its the "real thing ". I wouldn't want to pay nearly a £100 for it though, on the basis that, in suede, I wouldn't have the opportunity to wear it that often . And its all about price per wear. I will definitely wait until the Christmas Sales though and hope it goes down . Then I won't mind being looked at askance by those who haven't the courage to risk such things. I'm already turning into Jenny Joseph's Old Woman  it seems. Well I definitely shall wear purple .
 
 

 
 

I feel I have ended on the wrong note. Although some of the ponchos and capes do perhaps require stepping outside one's comfort zone, many are infinitely wearable and will be an invaluable addition to your wardrobe. There's sure to be one which fits right in.

No comments:

Post a Comment