Reason not the need ! My guilty/thrifty buys !


 
 
 
 
 
 
 

I must confess to feeling a little nervous as I write this. My intention was to share my recent super saving purchases and display my fine tuned ability to bag a brilliant buy. Maybe inspire you with some of them ( in a not big headed way  you understand). As I have loaded my pictures however it's plain that what I might have saved, per item, I have ruined by the sheer quantity of purchases!

I will not keep all the purchases of course, mainly because its just too much dosh but some because what I like on the internet photo might turn out to be not quite the way I imagined, but many may be sadly bundled back because, I have to face it, I don't have the lifestyle they deserve. I have always had a wild imagination in that department. Aged around 7  I bought an oatmeal coloured, wool mix , turban style hat from Boots. I thought I looked the biz but, unfortunately, I was about 60 years too early for it. That level of pzazz was just not appropriate in Junior School !

In my defence, I do tend to buy my clothes when they are on offer. Even if it means buying ahead. You will see what I mean with the black quilted coat later! Anyway, I'm with King Lear on this one - whilst I'm sure I could, given time, justify a NEED for most of the items - I'm not going to try. If only 'to go warm were gorgeous..'... But, as we all know, it isn't !!



I loved this when it was full price and have already worn it to death. Looks great with black or white skinny jeans and is going to go on and on through to the Autumn.






When I saw this early in the season it was clear it wasn't going to be to everyone's taste and I earmarked it to watch for a reduction. Sure enough it was - drastically . It looks so much better on than on the hanger, but that's the case with a lot of jumpsuits. Worn with my ancient, stone coloured,  Russell and Bromley Wedges (ahh the good old days ! ) or my Top Shop clogs, I feel very funky . Sometimes you just need to take a punt. For the price I paid, what's to lose?







Mango Fringed T Shirt £13.99  ( from £ 27.99)

A plain T shirt with a twist. The fringing gives it a bit more interest and the fabric is lovely- drapey with a swing. Also got it in cream- yikes! But, honestly where can you get a T shirt that's a bit different for that kind of spend?


Mango Embellished Top £11.99 (from £24.99)


Actually I bought this one for my daughter. Again another cool top with interest in the  beading and a brilliant, relaxed cut. Amazingly still available online .



This top appeared a lot in the fashion press and, again sang out to me back when Next's Summer collection arrived. I was pleased to see it in the sale but have yet to receive it from the Directory so can't yet know if there's a reason why it hasn't sold . Would look fab with shorts ( but not my look ) or over cropped capris or skinnies. Its a style which doesn't date and you can drag out year after year and is as appropriate for Polperro as  for Poros. Not many things you can say that about .
 


 


Boden Multi Breton 26.10 (from £29)

This wasn't a brilliant reduction but I really liked it and needed it for my Breton collection. These Boden tops last forever - my navy and ecru one, which I've had for a few years now, still looks as good as new and now has red, aster (pale purple) and now this lovely to join its Breton family in my drawer.


 
 
 
Here's a quick pic of me wearing my aforesaid navy Breton top with my M&S Denim Pinafore. I bought that a few months ago and it did go into the sale - much to my surprise as they are in a number of other High Street Shops full price (Top Shop) and seem set to continue into next season. Its like wearing a full body girdle. The buttons are strong enough and the denim sufficiently strong to hold it all in without the accompanying stomach ache. Result !
 
 
 




Mango V Neck Jumpsuit £15 (from £25)


As you know, I'm a big fan of jumpsuits and this one, so plain and therefore so versatile, has already found a home in my wardrobe. Will definitely be wearing this when it starts to get more chilly (like today then!). I think it will look great with the gold chunky necklace I got from Warehouse for a fiver. £20 for a look - not bad.





Next Printed Lace Dress £37 (from £75)






I spied this back when I did the feature on dresses under £60. I clearly couldn't include it with its original price tag but with this reduction it would have been included deffo. Sadly this dress is a classic example of me buying things for which I have little or no use. I simply do not have enough glamorous dinner dates or week end breaks in a foreign capital. You, however might be different.I will  no doubt enjoy trying it on, parading around in front of the mirror, and, with a heavy heart, returning it. I will however have had the chance to fantasise as I wore it.


 
I have already tried this dress and sent it back. Not because it wasn't beautiful. It was. Super fine wool, simple cut and effortlessly stylish. It would have looked fab with flats, courts or, later with opaque tights and boots. Just not for my lifestyle at the moment. I live in hope of a sea change.
 
 

 
 

 
Please don't purse your lips and raise your eyebrows with this one ! I sized up so that the waistband sits on my hips, gaining me valuable inches on the length . And I'm short so its not as risqué as the model in the photo. Anyway, the reduction was so amazing and I thought it would be  perfect for the cooler months ahead. To be frank though, the Jury is still out on this one. I'm thinking team with a mustard, bell shaped, medium weight jumper (can you guess that I already have one in mind?!) or a silky shirt....with flat boots ?? I'm not sure the knees are up to the jobs of bare legs but no doubt my blunt 13 year old will decide it for me. The look of pity on a Teenager's face is an awful but eloquent thing!
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
These arrived this morning. I think that it was the label which attracted me to these rough diamonds. That and the reduction. These are possibly at the other end of the unsuitable spectrum from the dresses. I'm wondering if they are just a bit too beaten up and self consciously hip for me. Thing is, they are actually very comfortable and I'm already incorporating them with a poncho and jeans look. Ponchos and capes are my latest fixation. The subject of the next blog. Perhaps you can tell me if I'm delusional on this one ?




These will be useful and much used. I brook no argument on this one. I have an ancient pair of DKNY silver and grey fabric and leather trainers - bought in the sale at House of Fraser, of course- and I wear them all the time. I'm already floating off with the idea that they would be ideal for tramping round Rome or Budapest. That's not happening but they will DEFINITELY be worn round Yorkshire.


 
 
I featured this jacket in an earlier blog. Reduced I had to have it. Its brilliant. Casual but smart.
 
 

 
 

 
 
 
Do I need another black bag ? No. Is this one different enough to justify ? Why , Yes , indeed it is. I do have a large fringed bag, bought many moons ago from Matthew Williamson, but it really is ginormous and this, well, isn't. Everyone needs a cross body bag. The liberation of two hands and the miraculous redistribution of weight that it gives justifies it alone. The fact that it has on trend fringing is a big bonus. Classic no fuss style. Classic sale bargain.
 
 
 
 

 
 
This was an either/or bag with the Mint Velvet one. I love the quality of Radley bags and had high hopes . Sadly the straps aren't  long enough to carry it on your shoulder and I'm not the kind of girl to mince about with one arm debilitated , carrying a handbag. That and being a martyr to tennis elbow !
Also, its billed as being multiway but the strap just looks like a horrid add on and completely ruins the look. I also feel that the strap is so slight that it won't be up to the job of carrying all my stuff.

 
 


 
 
 
 
I nipped into Town yesterday and nabbed the last one of these. It is still available online in loads of sizes though. No second thoughts with this one. Straight into the wardrobe. Its an easy Summer Dress. Just slip on. "Pair of jewelled flats and a bit of lippy and you're good to go" said the fake tanned (Male ) Assistant in the tones of Larry Grayson ! He was dead right.
 
 



The next few sandals are for my 13 year old. They will probably be rejected on the basis that I chose them but, at these prices, I thought it was worth a chance.



 



Premium Gem Leather Toe Thong Sandals £18 (from £38)
 
 
 
Next Jewelled Toe Loop Leather Sandals £12 (from £34)
 
 I couldn't resist these last two bits of bling. As I threw them in the basket I said to myself, as I always do, "These will make lovely presents". No chance. They have already been absorbed and are now mine, mine, mine !


Next Earrings £4 (from £10)


 
 
 
Warehouse Necklace £5 (from £14)

 
 
 
 
 
Finishing with bargain of the year ! I think this is an amazing reduction and its so fab that wearing it will be a small compensation for the winter chills. Not perhaps the most fashion forward coat you will see but a style that comes out ad infinitum. It will allow me to relegate my Joules version to the dog walking and I can save this for "best". This buy demonstrates the wisdom of buying in the sales for the following season. Ignore the stares as you struggle back to the car park with your Winter Buys in the sweltering heat. The laughs on them. What good is a bikini in Leeds come September ???!!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment